Thursday 15 September 2011

The Arduous Task of Writing

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."
-Steven Wright


I feel that I can relate to this quote because, as a writer, I know how difficult and time-consuming it can be to write. Often, I will start something, run out of ideas and leave it for a great deal of time. This process can be frustrating, but good writers persevere and make it through to the end. When reading a book, I think it is important to recognize how much blood, sweat and tears the author has poured into it. Writing is many things, but it certainly isn't easy.


Quote source:
BrainyQuote. "Book Quotes". Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote. BookRags Media Network, 2001-2011. Web. 17 Dec. 2011. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/book_2.html>

5 comments:

  1. This is a very important post! I definitely think that these facts are unrecognized. Also, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU WERE A WRITER! Geoffrey Langford told me that he finishes your stories for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am a writer. I'm looking to include the themes of pre-made reactions to situations (semi-Fate) and the time loop in my writing. It's interesting how elements from real life (i.e. that very off-topic science class you and I attended) are incorporated into a writer's work. For example, the French playwright Moliere's characters were mirrored off the nobles running France at the time. He was able to mock their behaviour and send a message of their ridiculousness while at the same time producing plays that were popular among the French people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting! I have noticed that authors often use metaphors like these. It never occurred to me that it was very useful when writing your own stories...I don't know why I never noticed. I do believe this may be helpful when I'm editing my myth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is any main idea in my how to write books, it's that writing a (good) book isn't a walk in the park. You just took a two hundred page book and turned it into a paragraph. Less really is more in this case, especially if I added up how much money I paid for all of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - Glad I could help!
    Bethany - Heheh, it's interesting to try writing single paragraohs to express ideas, isn't it? I'm used to writing essays...

    ReplyDelete