Saturday 8 October 2011

A Summary And Review Of George Orwell's "1984"

It is 1984, 24 years after the Revolution that divided the world into three superstates locked in eternal warfare.

In the superstate of Oceania, Winston works unwillingly for the totalitarian government known as "the Party".

Then Winston meets Julia. They fall in love, and try a desperate attempt at rebellion, only to be caught and tortured into soulless slaves.

Orwell's portrayal of this "negative utopia" is amazingly detailed. The way it is broken into three parts is very effective. 1984 is a powerful warning of what humankind will become if it continues down its path of greed and corruption. This weighty message affected me deeply, and I hope it does the same for political and corporate leaders, or we may face the end of human nature and love.

4 comments:

  1. One question- where is the review? I don't sense a whole lot of your own opinions in this, but your ideas usually go over my head anyway :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. The review was supposed to be short, so I couldn't include a lot, but it doesn't really seem like it's me writing this, does it? I'm going to go and make it more personal right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! Your simple editing made an amazing difference! Very good. I love how you can be so concise when you usually write a novel for each post! It is very well summarized. It also is very important for a review to include personal details because they give a hint as to how the reader is affected by the book. Very well done! I may end up reading this book myself! Now that you have included personal details in your writing, I'm wary that the book may affect me deeply, though. I guess it isn't a light read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I can be concise when I want to be... I just find it very hard. "1984" is affecting, but it kind of opens your eyes to how the world is, how the world should be, and what it might become. It's definitely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete